I am overly generous. I give more than I should and more than most deserve. I give because it is my way of showing I care. I don't mean financially (though I would be that way inclined if I was wealthy). I mean in terms of my time, labour and love.
Most of the time I have not issues with it. I know that others are not that way inclined and I do not expect reciprocation. There are times, however, where I feel somewhat used. I get angry at myself for putting myself in that position. I put not responsibility on the other person but I often wonder whether they are even aware of it. For example, I was going to get sushi for lunch today so offered to pick some up for a coworker. It bothered me that when I had the courtesy to let him know there was a huge queue and that I would be a while his response was that he didn't care whether I returned or not. Don't ask me to do something for you if you're not interested. It is a waste of my time and effort. That disrespect is unnecessary.
I am angry that I don't learn though. I know that next time I head out I will feel obliged to offer and I will kick myself for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment