I am not a particularly political person. In fact, politics is largely lost on me. One of my failings as an adult is a lack of interest in politics. Naive, maybe. But I generally see politicians as corrupt, money-hungry megalomaniacs who don't deserve to be in a position of power. Sad that the very people that should NOT run countries are those that are attracted to the positions of governor, prime minister and president.
But this, I could not ignore. I have followed the US presidential campaign with loose interest. As an Australian, I held such high hopes for Obama (most of which, sadly, has not come to fruition). In fact, I have been much more impressed with the work Michelle has done then Barack.
America sees itself as a force to be reckoned with (I think we should be concerned more about the Chinese, Singaporean and Hong Kong governments that are buying all our - both Australian and New Zealand - prime real estate, personally). Regardless of my person views on the matter, there is no doubt that many people (and other countries) look to America for leadership. As the fattest and most unhealthy country in the world, I am not sure why (well, I know why - money is why!). Again, I am deviating off track.
When someone is running for President of the United States of America and holds such great negativity towards over half of the population (50.8%) I hold grave concerns. Not only for the country itself but for the world in general. I am no feminist. I am an equalist. I believe that BOTH genders are important; that all races are important; that animals and plants are important. I am pro life (but also pro choice; I don't think a woman should be forced to have a child she does not want but that's yet another discussion).
When a presidential candidate touts about the ugliness of a woman, when he equates her worth to her weight or denigrates someone publicly because of their gender we are in serious trouble. This disgrace of a human is potentially going to be in control of a country. A country that has nuclear power. A country that is already occupying land it possibly shouldn't. A country that, like I have already said, other countries look up to.
America is like the bully in the schoolyard. With disproportionate power comes misappropriation. Trump at the helm? Heaven help us.
No comments:
Post a Comment