Sunday, 7 September 2014

Soothe thy soul

I've been focussing on me for a long time but missed the mark. In the last few weeks I have been mindful of my mood and actively trying to soothe myself with healthy, constructive pursuits. Today, I lay in the sun and read. I find concentration an issue so only read a few pages at a time before my mind wanders into unhealthy territory.

So, I picked myself off the newly mown grass and decided to tackle some hard core gardening that I have been putting off for ages (I hate gardening). I sawed until my bicep was throbbing; filled the garden waste bin and made a neat pile of clippings to put in the bin next week.

This simple task occupied my body for well over an hour. As I concentrated on making sure I didn't fall the heavy branch into the fence, all other thoughts faded. I was truly in the moment. I escaped my woes and was transported to nothingness. The sun warmed me while the healthy endorphins flooded my body with contentment. Plus, I was rewarded with a sense of accomplishment at a job that does not need to be done again for at least a few months.


No comments:

Post a Comment