A blog about finding myself through conscious living, double loop learning and continuous self evaluation. Aiming for self improvement and balance with health, fitness and love
Friday, 13 December 2013
Comfort zone
I have been outside my comfort zone for 18 months or so. It's frightening, challenging, disappointing and terrifying but I have grown and changed as a result. I can do things I have not been able to previously. I am okay with most of me now. Previously I have hated every aspect of myself. I am now able to see that my opinion of myself is the only one that matters.
Who cares if the guy in the office thinks I'm a dick? So what if the dude in the bar says I am too old to be out dancing? What does it matter if the barista thinks I have food issues? What bearing does it have on anyone else's life if the only man I am interested in is not interested in me? So what if people don't approve of what I wear?
I own my shit. I am mot perfect. I never will be. But for the first time in my life I can hold my head up when a group of people diss my outfit. Fuck you guys! I wear clothes for me. I wear what makes me happy. If you don't like it don't look.
I am learning to stand up for myself. When someone tells me I to do (or not do) something I no longer automatically comply. I will take a minute to determine what I want and then I do that. Regardless of what that person may think.
I used to be such an attention whore. I was only happy if I had reassurance from someone else - do I look okay? Did I say the right thing? Did I do something wrong? I realise now that those habits were formed as a response to the constant negativity I was exposed to. The insecurity I displayed were a reflection of my deep seated hatred for myself; for my inability to stand up for myself and because I was scared. Fear is a terrible thing.
I now do as I please rather than doing what I think others want me to do. I worry a lot less. I am living more in the moment. I relive situations and conversations less often. I don't stress about tomorrow as much and I am finding inner contentment.
I am finding that I am able to constantly and consistently stretch myself. I try to step out of my comfort zone regularly so as to continue to flourish. It's not pretty but it will be worthwhile.
Labels:
Authentic,
Becoming self aware,
Fear
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment