Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Do not conform

Sheeple: when people act like sheep and follow on without thinking for themselves. A foolish behaviour, following on from others adds little to no value to our society.


Creative thinkers are what the world needs. In the age where everyone is connected online and no one values soul; revolution is required.


This article struck a chord with me. I keep hearing about living in the moment but, while I agree it is important to be present (putting down your phone at dinner is key, for example), I have always thought that you should have a plan.


I also believe that our future cannot be unaffected by our past. Our experiences are what has shaped us into the person that we are. Recognising and respecting our past is important. An awareness and understanding of how our past, and critical evaluation of the effect that has on our present and our future, allows us to grow.


So, while there are times when I am fully engaged in a conversation, there are also times when I allow my mind to wander. For it is only on reflection that we learn from our past to ensure that our present and our future are better places to be.


In order to move forward, we need to ensure that we learn from our past so that there are less painful moments and more pleasure. There is a reason (or multiple reasons) we leave relationships. There is a reason we move. There is a reason we change careers or learn new things. Analyse these reasons. Patterns may emerge. If they do, look at where they lead you. Are you happy with that path?


Critical awareness of our lives is all too lacking. It is so easy to get drawn into the mundane routine of life without taking the time to assess whether we are happy. If we are not happy, we need to make changes. If we are, we need to maintain that as best we can. Either scenario is tricky. It is trying to find a constant in an ever changing environment. And that homeostasis can be elusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment