Sunday, 9 February 2014

Burning

Today my sister and I evacuated our parents from their home in Warrandyte as they were under direct threat of bushfire. I had a girfriend's daughter with me at the time and the three kids were quite distressed as we drive through smoke and hit stuck in evacuation traffic. While we were trying to get to safety people were stopping their cars and blocking traffic in order to take photos of the flames. Even for an avid amateur photographer, this is inexcusable.

My children and their friend were stressed out as we sat ten deep in cars trying to turn out of mum and dads road. I attempted to remain cool, constantly assessing our options. Watching the wind direction and the growing smoke plume all the while speaking soothingly, telling the kids we were safe. Yada yada.

Thankfully we managed to get out before the CFA closed the roads. As we were driving away I watched the smoke plume in the mirror and saw the change from white to dense black. I knew instantly the fire had jumped from the grass into the canopy and that we had made it out just in time. As news reports come in of houses lost, I am grateful the kids noticed the smoke as I wa making coffees after sharing lunch and for gut instincts that kicked in and insisted mum and dad pack bags and get out. As dad is dependent on oxygen 24/7 it is imperative he has power.

No comments:

Post a Comment